Sounds of AustraNesia is a gathering of Cairns’ finest Indigenous musical artists of Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, Polynesian and Melanesian descent.
Celebrating the unique diversity of multi-cultural North Queensland, this outstanding ensemble showcases harmony amongst diversity in both song and spirit, giving voice to original music of each artist with the universal theme of ‘Roots’.
The jewel in the crown of this unique out t is the blend of the AustraNesian voices into one soul-stirring choir, led by Kimiia, laced with intricate harmonies and embedded in cleverly constructed instrumentation by Kepa. Broad in genre yet individual in story and delivery, all songs are steeped in language and traditional instrumentation unique to that artist, at once highlighting culture and heritage, whilst educating the listener about the place we call home.
The breadth of talent in the group enables enormous scope for multi-dimensionalism, hence the AustraNesia brand is fast becoming a name synonymous with world-class music since their CD launch in June 2013 at the Tanks Arts Centre.
- Performances backing Archie Roach, July 2013/14
- Headliner act Cairns Festival, July 2013
- Cairns Carols by Candlelight, December 2013/14/15
- Australian Tourism Exchange, May 2014
- Cairns Indigenous Arts Fair (CIAF), Opening Ceremony, July 2014
- Queensland Music Festival, September 2014
- Australia Council Marketing Summit, 2015
- Global Executives of Exxon/Mobil Dinner, 2015
- Department of Premier and Cabinet, 2015
- Munro Martin Parklands Official Opening, 2015
- Soweto Gospel Choir, Opening for and singing with, 2016
- Sounds of AustraNesia Songbook Launched, 2016
- National Naidoc Ball, 2017
The combined strengths of Kimiia and Kepa, together with the individual and collective talents of the ensemble, while presenting original songs with themes of today and yesteryear and showcasing international and emerging talent, promises to deliver an experience of delectable and unforgettable musical flavours found throughout AustraNesia.